I dunno about the rest of the world but 2016 has been one big education for me!!!
I can’t even believe myself. As we kiss the Ist quarter goodbye, I figured I’ll share 16 things I’ve learned in 2016 (so far)
Learned as in a deeply bearing-personal-witness kinda way…
1. Never estimating anyone from a purely human or physical point of view. Actually tz the popular ‘…know no man after the flesh…’ of 2cor 5:16.
This was something God told me at the start of the year. And i’m thankful He did, because I always remembered it as I dealt with humans. I shudder at all I would have missed, or entered, had I been looking and estimating at only face value.
2. My motives, especially as a Sanguine are EVERYTHING!!!
This one has been tough. God is constantly checking me with the big question- WHY???
Why do you wanna blog/tweet that?
Why do you wanna say that?
Why do you wanna give that?
Why? Why?? Why???
Big question. Especially for a Sanguine like me who wants to be Sanguine and also live for God. Trust me, it is something!!! And yes I LOVE being Sanguine. Everybody I am obsessed about is Sanguine. OK almost everybody.
3. I am one strong and extremely passionate young woman.
For many years, Valerie, my bestie would tell me that and I would block it thinking, ‘Vee is just too kind to me jor…’ But in recent times, I’ve seen a side of me I didn’t know I had. One of the most freeing counsel I’ve received and it came from my Pastor M has to be ‘…you have to learn how to LOVE, and then DETACH…’
4. There are weights. And there are sins. And they are not the same.
If they were the same, the writer of Hebrews (12v1) would not have separated it. I have learnt to toss the weights and i’m still learning.
Weights?!??!! Phew… just leave them and soon enough they become SIN!!!
5. The law of sowing and reaping works.
Sometimes like magic, immediately. Most times, over time. But eventually, harvest comes. I’m sold out to sowing. And as widely as possible. Even with tears.
6. Money is a defence!!!
The Preacher didn’t tell no lie when he wrote that in Ecclesiastes 7v12. Hopefully, I can unpack that in a separate post. But trust me, money is a defence!!! I recall unpacking this for my bestie Dumebi
and she said her prayer the next morning changed. Lol
7. Whenever I am burning out, it is not that I am doing too much, it is that I’m doing stuff God hasn’t empowered me to do. I’m being very unwise and probably trying to please too many people. There are stuff I’ve done and expected to have a flat out exhausted-to-depression moment like Elijah but I just realise energy bursting through me. Then sometimes i’ll do less and i’m burned out. One day, God explained why to me. Now I’m more careful of my activities.
8. Pressure is real. Especially people pressure. God had to teach me ‘Eziaha, you obey God NOT man’
Now, I make sure to live for the approval of ONE… Jesus!!!
9. If I don’t manage my time taking phonecalls, I’ll spend all day on the phone. So now, I’m very OK with letting phones ring out while I just look at it. Then I also know how to stop conversations that are winding. I have my Rev to thank for that.
I learned that from him because he didn’t stop being a people-person as a result so…………..
10. I BELIEVE in my sheep-shepherd type relationship with God. I believe I will hear Him on situations, whether in advance, smack dab in the middle of it, or afterwards. I constantly repeat ‘I am God’s sheep and I hear and obey ONLY His voice. The voice of a stranger I do not obey/follow’ So when I feel like I’m starting to stress about something, I just say ‘God, I believe you will speak to me clearly on this so i’ll just let it be‘. He usually shows up for me.
11. I have a PhD in stalking. 😂😂😂🙌🙌🙌 it is incredibz.
I believe it is a gift. A gift of research.
Once I enter your matter, I can author your biography. So long as you don’t live under a rock. Lol. BTW I stalk people who stalk Jesus ooooo.
12. It is soooooooo important to share your story both with yourself (the more personal ones) and with others. I’m grateful I have a platform to do that with my blog. I’ve read stories on my blog and i’m grateful I wrote them down. Because otherwise, I would have forgotten details. I’ve looked at my past journals and i’m grateful I document my spiritual journey especially as I change. My journalling game has peaked. Explains why I am on my fourth biro/pen this year alone. And i’m not a student ooo lol. I love to keep my empty pen cases. Something Loni taught me in Uni.
I’m soooo grateful for people like my mama Joyce who don’t stop sharing their journey through life with every book, every sermon, every conference and every interview.
She’s sooooo open with her faults, weaknesses and victories. Heather Lindsey who shares her marital and family challenges that make me know I am NOT alone. Chris Caine whose blog has tons and tons of her journey through life. Who lets us know God ain’t looking for perfect Chicks to use.
Oh I’m grateful. Americans especially are really really refreshingly open. Africans have a more ‘hidden, it-is-well’ culture. I refuse to join that party.
Which is why my blog is getting more personal with more of my challenges, struggles and victories. Who knows which young girl would lean in and read this some 20years later and get more direction for her life. Amen!!!
13. It’s OK for some people to NEVER see my sanguine side. See, as a young married woman living ‘single’ in a town like Lagos, you better have your GAME FACE on a LOT!!! I’m not about that ‘weak woman’ or damsel-in-distress life. No I’m not. I’ll take you down!!!
14. Pictures, for me are still very very therapeutic!!!
I can apply a picture-therapy to many situations in my life.
15. God’s GPS system is perfect. He will find you anywhere. But you gotta be willing to put in a lot of work even in the background, in anonymity and obscurity, and trust that God will find you where you are and PROMOTE you!!! This I learnt from Christine Caine.
16. And the final one is also a lesson from Chris
In this really cool Christian subculture that’s emerging, If the light that is on you is greater than the light that is IN YOU, that light on you (hello superstar?) will destroy you. It will take me out because I have no depth.
That’s probably the biggest thing I’ve learnt this year. I’ll do a full post on it.
And hey just a bonus
God alone is my SOURCE. I’ve seen a LOT of things SHAKE but God has been sooooo constant. No man can close or open doors so I don’t fear or care for what man can do. I look to God alone and then I look out for ‘ravens’, ‘Zarephath widows’ and of course the ‘ abundance of rain’
That takes ALL the pressure away!!! This will help you too looking to man.
That’s it. 16 plus 1.
Share a few of your 2016 lessons with me in the comments section if you may. Let’s know how the year has been panning out for you.
And come for WARRIOR IN HEELS
Hugs and Love,
Allow me to recommend these videos to my married sisters here.
In Making Marriage work, Joyce and Dave share their 45 year old journey (tz a 4year old video but soooo relevant).
They even share a kiss at the end after this emotional speech from Joyce in part 2 *sniff*
Andy Stanley did a fine job interviewing them.
Dave z a HERO!!!
In Why did I get married, Heather and Cornelius share how rocky their first few years of marriage were, even to contemplating divorce, and how they made it through.
Heather actually has a lot of videos from that marriage retreat and they are all really good.
And then my most recent crush. The Beveres. John and Lisa. This interview with Sid Roth is everything!!! No seriously!!!
Lisa is sooooo open, second only to Joyce.
In Nigeria, everyone has a happy we-have-sex-everyday, we-submit-and-love-from-the-womb kinda PERFECT marriage. I’m happy we have some Americans who share their challenges and have helped me through my own journey.
I imagine some people thinking I’m probably about to get a divorce this one I’m sharing marriage videos. Hahahahaha. No hun. Marriage is a pretty awesome journey with tons of perks. I am so thankful for my husband, more today than three years ago.
It is also a very challenging one and where we share the challenges AND the victories, we give those coming behind us some kinda perspective and maybe an opportunity to avoid some of the landmines we stepped on.
Heather has definitely helped me avoid a LOT of drama in mine. And Joyce.
You know what, I am counting the days to the BIGGEST CHICK PARTY OF 2016 #LoveLife. I think I may just beg God to bring September 29 closer.
You don’t wanna see my browser history. Info from past conferences, reviews, news, hotels, etc. Who else is coming? Details here
There is a pretty tidy Nigerian crew on board. Obviously, we don’t have to go together from Nigeria but hey, we can sha hook up right at Edward Jones and then be the ones who scream the loudest (even during announcements about restrooms) so Joyce notices us and locks us all in a room with herself, Chris and Beth and even takes us to her home.
A girl can dream…
Her God can do ANYTHING!!!
This Easter meme got me smiling
So thankful He rose jor