music

Viva Naija Gospel Artists!!!

So I was involved in this twitter convo with my dearest mainest twitter fam… Amazing Christian ladies (y’all know yourselves). I love our real convos even when we are all not on the same page on a certain issue still….
*group squeeze Sisters*
So there was a convo about a certain Gospel music group and some were of the opinion that their music had ‘changed’ and somehow they had started compromising in their music ministry. I disagreed. The convo then moved to how same in the case for most ‘Christian’ or ‘Gospel’ music/musicians. Many had compromised. There are hardly any ‘reals’ out there again…
Yup. I agree. Some had compromised. Many were getting ‘watery’ etc. But see eh, I daresay there are still some true to the race…
1st Kings 19:18
I am preserving for myself 7000 souls: the knees that haven’t bowed to the god baal, the mouths that haven’t kissed his image…
Maybe we are looking in the wrong places. Maybe we are looking to the more popular ones. Maybe… Just maybe.
There is a generation of godly gospel Artists rising up today especially in Nigeria. They are not exactly VERY popular yet but they are NOT impossible to find.
I have been known to go to lengths to get gospel CDs that I know would bless me. Once I hear, I scout till I get.
I have NEVER come to a point where I have been short of great Singers who are true Praise and Worshippers indeed whose music ministries have blessed me immensely.
And I do mean immensely. I have them in full supply. Sometimes I even feel like ‘Stop releasing now. I never finish the ones wey you release before…’
Like I said, they are NOT world-famous yet and the sound may not be as great as Kirk’s and Donnie’s but they sure know what they are doing…
I will share their names and then for some, I’ll mention my fave songs of theirs and some random other stuff.

Sinach: Ah. Every song in every single album of Sinach is an inspiration. I dunno how she does it but girlfriend gets my top position anytime. Such a blessing to this generation. God bless her abeg. She is of Christ embassy stock so I am not surprised at the excellence and grace in her songs.

And good thing is she usually has at least 10songs in each album. All totally amazing. She doesn’t just sing, she ministers, she exhorts, she scabashes… She is a TEN.
She is like my numero uno in Naija…
Joe Praiz
Olufunmi
Kenny Kore
Elijah Oyelade (Glorious God)
Chris Morgan
Lara George
TY Bello
Eben (All the way is smokin’)
Flo
Chris Delvan (too awesome man mehn)
Churches too are not left out as they package their praise sessions into DVDs and sell. I know and have some… Fountain Praise from The Fountain of life church… HOTR, Redeemed High Praise, Winners, etc.
Then some really great new voices are coming out of the church
Mayowa from TFOLC
Pita, MK from my very own DCC
Pita’s Ebubedike and Light up my world are like a billion stars to me. Mk’s Arugbo ojo which I have mentioned on my blog taya is classic. I am also in love with his Sound of heaven. Totally awesome people.
Freke (not really sure his church but when Freke holds the mic, he takes me to heaven in praise or worship. His voice eh especially when he starts modulating na die…)
Gbolahan formerly in HOTR I think.
Tim Geofrey with his Agidigba
Nathaniel Bassey from RCCG. His Imela is on a different level. I also love Someone’s knocking. I feel Nathaniel has already made heaven. He is just too much lol.
Uche from Christ embassy too
I am pretty sure there are many more.
Another thing I do is once my choir sings a song I love, I ask a chorister to send to me or I google and download it myself.
Or whenever I am in the market esp Lagos Island, there is a Christian shop that sells movies and cds and I ask for latest albums or musicians that I don’t have yet.
I spy people on bb too. If you are listening to a song that I don’t have from a Naija artist I know, I start harassing you to send it.
I also go to the church where the Artist worships and buy if possible or ask someone to get for me.
And how much are they? Some 200, some 500 max 1000. Why wouldn’t I buy please…?
Good thing is some of the songs are also online for you to buy or download free. You have no excuse. The same way we order from Konga, we can order their messages too. No length is too far to go to nourish your spirit.
Nothing beats hearing praise and worship to my Sugar daddy than in local language.
Chris Morgan’s ‘I’m free’ sends me to another level when he starts singing in his Idoma language.
And I know there are many more too who may not be popular but good.
Ah!!! Please we know how to run things in Naija on a praise and worship level abeg…

This tweet says it all
On the foreign scene too,there are some really great ones
J Moss is a total boss (Praise on my inside is my ringtone for a really longggggg time). Ditto Donald Lawrence. Joe Pace. William Mcdowell, Tasha Cobbs, Hillsongs (of course), William McDowell, etc
If we make serious effort, I promise we will see that we have PLENTY musicians who have ‘not bowed to Baal…’

And to end this, I would also say that the callings and gifts of God are without repentance.
There are really NO perfect gospel musicians. Ditto Pastors, Reverends, Bishops etc. I just like to stress the fact that no humans are perfect. So even where they err, since God has bestowed upon them the gift, it is still within them to churn out lovely living songs because it is all about God and not them and He knows how to keep His glory to Himself alone.
And where they choose not to use what is within them, my list above (and countless more) dey. Enjoy them…
I must also add here that sometimes we make the mistake to think that once a song has ‘groove’ the artist is now carnal. At all… Or if the Singer is pretty and dresses well. Lol. Gospel songs are allowed to be groovy too. They are allowed to look good too. If not, we would be tempted to listen to other danceable but spiritually empty songs like Skelewu. Kukere, limpopo and co when we are jogging or at the gym. But thank God for songs like Tim’s Agidigba, Sinach’s I know who I am, MK’s Na the way wey, Mayowa’s Polongo, Eben’s All the way, and the praise series from the churches, we can be exercising our bodies and our Spirits at the same time.
#TwoForThePriceOfOne
🙂
Viva Naija Gospel Artists…
God will surely make y’all bigger as you stay true to your game…
E’

Previous Story
Next Story

You Might Also Like

53 Comments

Lizzieebunoluwa
    December 15, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Yes o!…we are immensely blessed by worshippers o.A pastor said, “when you see true worshippers, they are unmistakeable, simply because they can’t hide in public whom God is to them in private”

And oh..that tweet?….classic!….rocks a billion star times!!!…you forgot to mention Efe(Flo’s wife), that uberremarkable minister. Bless her heart.
    You really can’t overemphasize the importance of what you listen to/feed your entity with.So, yes, let’s key in&press on to the flow of God’s rhythm, dwelling less(or not at all) on the negatives….For God (is still) in the midst of us 🙂
    Mesef dey spy recent updates well o, my bbm contacts can testify to my disturbance, even random choir folks can testify..lol.
    #okbye

December 15, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Lol at God still in the midst of her.
      Coool.
      Oh I dunno efe. So flo and wife sing
      Jealous much

marriagebydbook
    December 15, 2013 at 4:31 pm

I like I like
    Nothing beats Naija Gospel songs oooo
    Ah
    And Sinach is a true sister indeed
    She is as sweet as her music
    CE is so blessed to have her
    And I do know almost all you listed
    Music for me is a way of life.
    Lovely post dear
    Mrs. D

December 15, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Thanks mami
      Yup naija rocks with music
      And Sinach truly is amazing

deegator
    December 15, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Marriage suits you darling. I mean, u wrote absofrigging well as a single, but Bolaji must have anointed you so well cos this post is just sweet. Your wordings sef…kaiiiiii. Pls did I see Frank Edwards? Sinach all d way…I love her songs. Don Moen and Ron Kenoly are my foreign papas. Being a Christian does not mean you should look hungry and poverty stricken…I totally agree. Lol@limpopo and skelewu…pls add Psquare’s ‘personally’ to that lot.

December 15, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Looool
      My booski
      The comments section of my blog has missed you.
      Oh I forgot to add Frank Edwards. That man is too anointed.
      Don and ron are confirmed Papas. No controversy.
      Muah love
      E’

Booski
    December 15, 2013 at 6:27 pm

December 15, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Lol at personally
      Dat beat dey tempt die
      Looool
      Those boys should flip to gospel biko.
      Use thier talent for God biko and stop tempting us…….

imperfectlyperfect92
    December 15, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I love,looooove Sinach’s songs! Guaranteed to take me to a different realm all the time with God inhabiting the praises indeed.
    Also saw and heard Nathaniel Bassey singing in the redeem branch where I worship,kai,no words to describe it adequately.
    I downloaded Chris Morgan’s I am free when I saw u write about it on ur blog,all I can say is wowzers!
    And I still didn’t get the song for exercise u sent me but flo’s twale still does it for me.
    All in all,there are still some worshippers that rep Christ thoroughly with music,pure gospel that gives glory to God is still alive..

December 15, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Oh Sinach is da bomb
      Guaranteed every time
      Nathaniel bassey is something else. I am glad you loved I am free. Awesome.
      And Twale is my beat of life
      Oh yes worshippers abound. True worshippers

chicadimples
    December 15, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Flo’s kabiyesi oluorun is on replay! Luv luv naija gospel artist!
    Sinach, frank edward. Etcc

December 15, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Yes dear. Flo’s Twale rocks

Inthe...
    December 15, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Where can I find sinach’s music? I love the way you said Hillsong -of course!! Netime, neday, Hillsong na baba!!

December 16, 2013 at 6:19 am

Baba oooo
      I dunno if she is available to buy online but since Christ embassy has an online store, it should be available there so you may wanna check…
      She is totally a TEN!!!

tamaramie
    December 15, 2013 at 11:13 pm

True talk ma sister!

December 16, 2013 at 6:19 am

Naijawife
    December 16, 2013 at 3:09 am

*squeezes you right back*. I’m going to check out the artists you listed!

December 16, 2013 at 6:19 am

You should hun…

phebe
    December 16, 2013 at 8:18 am

so I wrote a long comment page loaded and it disappeared. hmmmm. add to d list Casting crown, Audrey Assad and third day

December 16, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Oh that’s so annoying
      I’m so sorry darling
      Happened to me a coupla time with posts. Just recently happened to me with my THE LIST post. That’s why I haven’t done it yet. Was just sad about it that I dumped it. Till I feel the ginger again 🙂
      Casting crowns yup… Dunno the rest sha 🙂
      Thanks hun…
      E’

catherine
    December 16, 2013 at 11:04 am

Nne u didn’t add Efe 2d lot o, Sinarch is also a 10 for me walahi

December 16, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Dunno Efe ooo
      And u r sounding like me ooo
      Nne…10…Walahi…
      Thank God I am a good person. You for dey pick bad bad habit :p
      :p

findipeny
    December 16, 2013 at 1:32 pm

i totally agree with you, there are quite a lot of Nigerian gospel artists that are beyond fantastic, especially when they sing in our local dialect, and yes you should include personally. i can’t count how many times i have caught myself nodding to that song.
    i don’t know Sinachi but i will try to get her album. Newsboys’ “in Christ alone my hope is found” is so profound, it excites me every-time, if you haven’t heard it, you totally should.

December 16, 2013 at 5:14 pm

You know how to send it to me…
      🙂
      Sinach u don’t know? How are we even twins?

oluwaseun
    December 16, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Nice post dear. For real,we have great worshipers in Naija o!I didn’t see Frank Edwards on your list.He’s soooo anointed!Flo is cool too but Sinach na mama o.She takes me to another realm.

December 16, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Sinach is an obvious winner here
      I forgot Frank Edwards. He is anointed indeed…

salsera
    December 16, 2013 at 1:46 pm

I listen to praiseworldradio.com for most of my songs. There’s NOSA, JSOUL, GAISEBABA, Provabs, and my new favourite IBKSpaceshipboi.

Gospel artists are like all of us we rise and we fall and we rise again.

December 16, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Oh how did I miss Nosa? And even Mosa?
      Haven’t heard of that online one ooo.
      And yup we fall we rise… Simples!!!
      Thanks dee

salsera
        December 17, 2013 at 1:39 am

You dont know of praiseworldradio.com? wow and they are active on twitter. They play a wide range of music and they have free downloads on the website.Naija artists and foreign ones.
        Check Abel musuka (Ichitemwinko or Despite my faults} or On fire for Jesus) he’s zambian though his songs are not free download though but d guy is deep. The songs are on youtube

December 17, 2013 at 5:00 am

I should follow them on twitter oooo. You see, E’ does not know it all lol. Thanks for sharing hun

Chidi
    December 16, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Inyene’s “Only Praise” is one Nigerian gospel song I really really love. It’s out of this world. You should check it out.

Lizzieebunoluwa
      December 16, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Hi Chidi! Can you please send a download link to the song you suggested?

December 17, 2013 at 4:49 am

I hope it is available online oooo
      Or you could mail it to me please
      Eziaharx@yahoo.com
      Thanks

worshipandswag
    December 16, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Lol @ the comments above. As a worship leader I agree with everything you’ve said. No matter how flawed a person is, when God gives you a gift there are no “givesies backsies.” Now you may feel distanced from Him but He is always there. Your song list is amazing as well, E. Oh- I want to add Sonnie Badu. I love love love this man. So anointed! Bless you!

December 17, 2013 at 4:58 am

I love the term ‘givesies and backsies’
      Oh you are a worship leader and one with swag?
      I love you already and I beef you too :p I can’t sing to save my own life 🙁 lol
      Will Google him up. Coming from a worship leader, he must be good.
      Hugs
      E’

worshipandswag
        December 17, 2013 at 5:08 am

First one to rightly guess why I have the cheesy blog name, lol!! Don’t beef me yet, wait till my album drops…lol.

December 17, 2013 at 5:10 am

Yay
          You know where to mention me when that happens yea? 🙂

• worshipandswag
            December 17, 2013 at 5:13 am

Yea, right after you sponsor my band to come perform in Naija! Lol 😀

• E'
            December 17, 2013 at 6:01 am

Hehehe. Small do

Elizabeth
    December 17, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Don Moen’s songs any day any time, Lara George’s “Dansaki re” and all the compilation of the praise songs is totally mind lifting.

December 17, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Yup Don is a classic!!!

adeola
    December 17, 2013 at 6:48 pm

I love this post n I totally agree with u E’, that there are still some Naija Gospel Artists who are still on track n av not bowed to baal . U need to see the way I screamed wen I saw Pst Chris delvan Gwamna’s name , we av become inseparable since 2010, he is my nos 1 in naija followed by Nathaniel Bassey ( book life n imeala in particular), Frank Edwards, Sinach( how I love ‘I know who am’) then some of oda naija names u mentioned. Hillsong of course now , always there to bless n speak to my spirit anytime anyday. How can I ever forget my dear Michael. W.Smith n Don Moen .

December 18, 2013 at 6:57 am

You are like my music twin walahi
      Sinach’s I know who I am is incredible.
      Yup Book of life is another fave of mine too.
      I missed Michael Smith. Ah that dude blessed me in my first and second year in UI.
      Thanks darling

Chuka Xavier Obi
        December 18, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I was wondering when someone was going to mention MWS…especially the “Worship” & “Worship Again” albums.

And I agree that there are lots of great young Nigerian Gospel musicians coming up the ranks. The only thing left is for them to make sure their LIVES reflect their music- the real problem is when you hear not-good reports about the way some of these ministers live…it’s almost like some are performers- they lead a different life when off the altar/podium/stage. I will not mention names but one of those mentioned above, with all the grace and anointing in him, was in a serious relationship with two women at the same time. The “side-chick” finally found out stepped. Not a good representation of kingdom ministers. But then, like my dad used to say, the choir/music ministry represents the most vulnerable side of Christianity- the glamour and honour attached to having such an ability to touch so many sometimes is too much for some to handle properly. But then, with great power comes great responsibility right?

On a lighter note, the foreign gospel songs that I cannot do without:

Israel Houghton’s “alpha & omega”,
        “I will sing”, “holy”, “Only you are holy” and “great is thy faithfulness” by the one and only Donnie McClurkin, “blessed be The Lord almighty” by Bob Fitts, “shout to The Lord” by Darlene Zseich, and “Ancient of Days” by Ron Kenoly. Yes I’m so old school lol. So old school in fact that I still play Panam Percy Paul’s “Bring Down Your Glory I & II” albums on the regular.

Sinach is really awesome, as are many of our Naija gospel artists. 🙂

Lizzieebunoluwa
          December 18, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Its comments like this that make me wish wordpress , like facebook has the feature that let’s you ‘like’ comments.

December 19, 2013 at 11:16 am

Maybe I’m not right or whatever but I really am more about leaving them to God and leaving them alone… Of course I expect that they should be responsible as Reps of Christ especially but I still think we are looking for PERFECT people so we would have our hearts broken over and over again cos they don’t have it in them to be perfect. We fall, we rise. They too are humans. I am learning more to look at the man in the mirror when it comes to looking for ‘imperfections’ and work out my own prefection/salvation.
          If they like, sleep with 100people a day, nke aha gbasara gi, just sing well and glorify my sugar daddy (God doesn’t retrieve his gifts), #dazall!!!
          Oh those old schools songs are the ish oooo. I absolutely love panem parcy. As I lose it, I buy again. Have loved him from when he was available on only cassette format
          🙂

salsera
          December 19, 2013 at 12:01 pm

With great power comes great responsibility…. selah let judgement start with the house of God. We fall we rise

• E'
            December 19, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Yes ooooo
            All of us… music ministers and those ministered to

valerie
    December 18, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Alicia is another artiste,uche in south africa,(his solid rock is so danceable,chei),I like his songs.

Tony Michele
    May 10, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Hmmm. Great list. Obiora Obiwon fully transited over last year, and he released an album that is a blessing to me; ‘Gold Water’.

May 12, 2014 at 9:59 am

Thanks for sharing dear

Oyinkansola Ige
    May 23, 2016 at 8:47 am

Hello, please can I get Mk’s na the way wey? This is amazing, I love it.

May 24, 2016 at 12:20 pm

You can buy the cd darling.